Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Lock and Key

 In this social media driven world, it's easy to post all of your life's details. It's also easy to watch the lives of others and gain a false impression. How much can you post while still retaining your privacy and identity?

I've always believed that secrets make human beings interesting. There's something about a person that is deeper than their surface appears. I wouldn't call myself secretive, but I absolutely believe in privacy and not sharing my future plans until they are fully formed. Even in relationships, I require a certain amount of privacy. People can know I'm in a relationship and who with, but not too much else. I enjoy social media, but I feel no need to post my whole life. There are parts of me that are for the public and parts that are only for me. Not everyone needs to know everything. I'd rather post a meme than post an intensely private detail about myself. The same is true in a conversation. I'll tell a joke before I reveal something personal. To me, platforms shouldn't shouldn't be used as a diary or a substitute for therapy. My devotion to privacy has led some to accuse me of being "cagey". I disagree. I believe in boundaries.


As I stated earlier, I don't share my future plans. I believe in planning and building silently. I do this for two reasons: 1.) I don't want people speaking fear into my goals. Sometimes well meaning people project their insecurities into your plans. I refuse to eat a meal that I didn't order. I prefer to let someone see the finished product. 2.) When I am building something or accomplishing a goal, I don't want an onslaught of questions based on an external timeline I didn't build. I will complete my objectives on my time and with my focus.



Succinctly put, the less people know, the less they can ruin. This is not to say that I don't have a few people that I bounce ideas off of, but I am very careful. People shift and one can't be too observant of these changes.

Privacy is one of the best and most inexpensive luxuries. Mystery is good. No matter what you give the world, there's nothing wrong with keeping a little back for yourself. In this poker game called life, I choose to keep a few aces up my sleeve.


No comments:

Post a Comment