Thursday, April 1, 2021

Aunt Misbehavin'

 Aunts are special people. Not just the backbone of some families, but also three dimensional people that enrich the lives of nieces and nephews. I have just become part of this esteemed group and I couldn't be prouder.

Last year, during lockdown, my nephew was born and I became an aunt for the first time. He is the epitome of a "bundle of joy". I wasn't able to see him for a few months due to the pandemic, but once I did, I fell in love. I began to think about what being an aunt means and what kind of I aunt I want to be. It struck me that aunts come in all several varieties. I myself can't wait to be the jet set aunt who tells stories about her travels while impressing upon him the importance of afternoon ice cream sandwiches and attending The University of Michigan, if he stays in the state. (No pressure, of course.) Most importantly, I want to be a source of love as he grows and navigates the world around him.


One of the best things about being an aunt is not being bound by the same conventions and standards that parents are bound to. While I have no interest in being a mother, I look forward to being an aunt. Aunts are allowed to have a small glimmer of mischief, whether it's letting their niece or nephew stay up 20 minutes later or an extra piece of chocolate. Either way, I'm excited to share my world and learn his.

As I enter my new role, I have several great examples of what being an aunt is from my own immediate family. I can't wait to watch my nephew's future unfold. 


No comments:

Post a Comment